The fact that men and women meet and co-operate in adult education is a positive thing. However, you need to be aware that disparity in language and behaviour because of gender can lead to misunderstandings. There may also be cultural and religious aspects in the group which increase the risk of clashes.
In your group you have Joseph a 47 year old man. He has often shown that he doesn't have respect for the women in the group; this applies particularly to the younger ones. You have talked about the problem with Joseph. The women in the group have voiced their disapproval of him to you, but until now you have bided your time and hoped it will change.
When it is time for a project to be reported on, Johanna (23), presents her work verbally in front of the class. Joseph takes a newspaper and begins to turn over the pages and read demonstratively. He sighs, shakes his head and irritates Johanna and the whole class.
Johanna refuses to continue her presentation and demands that Joseph leaves the room.
- Have you discussed the issue with your superior or colleagues?
- Would you bring up the question for a group discussion?
- Have you thought about how strong is the gender bias in the community where Joseph comes from?
- Would you take one side according to your personal attitude
- Will this affect the assessment of his work?
View and download/print the role play card